After my father bought a new car he stopped using his Ford Explorer. My sister now uses a car for going to work and asked me to use my old Audi 80 B4 2.3E so I started using the Explorer which I found had some problems that I will be trying to fix. I would like to share my solutions to the problems of the car in case you find them usefull.
After some time in the garage, the keyless unlock remote battery drained. In order to replace it I opened the remote by using a plektrum (no bolts). A knife may not be a very good idea because it can damage the plastic case but it can also be used.
Battery type is CR2032 and it is normal to find them at watch workshops in Spain. You can also find them on the internet. Replacing it is very easy (beware of the polarity) and the remote can be closed.
After trying I found that the remote didn't work so I searched the net. It turns out that after some time without battery the remote changes it's security codes and you need to teach the car to answer to the new ones. For pairing the remote to the car you must switch the ignition on and of 8 times and wait in the on position of the 8th attempt when you'll hear the locking system close and open. Click any of the buttons of the remote and the car will add it to the list of known devices. This sequence should be done in less than 10 seconds for it to work.
on-off - on-off - on-off - on-off - on-off - on-off - on-off - on - lock sounds - press the buttons
From now on the car will answer to the remote signals!
I will need the few bucks I saved for gas because this car is really really thirsty. I also bought an ELM327 bluetooth adapter that I will use to analyze the consumption of the car among others. A friend is looking for a mirror that I will be changing in future posts. Please, don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions and feel free to comment!